Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using the turbo tax estimate site for 2018. When asked about tax payments for 2018,does that mean the amount I paid to the IRS? Or does it mean something else?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Using the turbo tax estimate site for 2018. When asked about tax payments for 2018,does that mean the amount I paid to the IRS? Or does it mean something else?

Depending on the wording on the question you are seeing it could be two different things -

If it says federal withholding payments - those are the withholdings from your W2 / paychecks

If it says tax payments - it's referring to direct payments made to the IRS such as estimated tax payments during 2018 (i.e. if you are self-employed you may have made four quarterly estimated payments to the IRS) or if you had a refund last year and applied it to this year.  What that isn't referring to is if you owed taxes from last years return and paid the IRS in April - that doesn't get entered.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Depending on the wording on the question you are seeing it could be two different things -

If it says federal withholding payments - those are the withholdings from your W2 / paychecks

If it says tax payments - it's referring to direct payments made to the IRS such as estimated tax payments during 2018 (i.e. if you are self-employed you may have made four quarterly estimated payments to the IRS) or if you had a refund last year and applied it to this year.  What that isn't referring to is if you owed taxes from last years return and paid the IRS in April - that doesn't get entered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies