Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

US citizen recently married and living abroad

I am a US citizen that has recently been married a UK citizen. I have just moved to the UK and need to file my taxes. How should I file my taxes and is their income taxed even though they does not work in the US?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

US citizen recently married and living abroad

You can file married filing jointly or married filing separately if your spouse is a non-resident alien. If the latter and your spouse have no US source income, he/she would not be required to file. The IRS discusses the joint return election here  Note: to use the joint return the non-resident alien would be treated for tax purposes as a US resident alien. That means they would be taxed on their worldwide income, although the foreign earned income exclusion may apply.

SSN or ITIN  If your spouse is a nonresident alien and you file a joint return, your spouse must have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). To get an SSN for your spouse, apply at a social security office or US consulate. You must complete Form SS-5. You must also provide original or certified copies of documents to verify your spouse's age, identity, and citizenship. If your spouse is not eligible to get an SSN, he/she can file Form W-7 with the IRS to apply for an ITIN. Refer to Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies