Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TDS

Unemployment Tax refund

I filed for each of my daughters (same day) , single status no children prior to the tax law changing regarding the unemployment tax.  One of my daughters has received her refund last month the other one has not.  

We have logged into the IRS website trying to check on it,  ordered the transcript to confirm the revision has been filed and have not received that either.  Any suggestions?  Any word on the time frame for the refunds?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Akil C
Expert Alumni

Unemployment Tax refund

Hi TDS!

Thanks for your question. You said you ordered the transcript and have not received it. Did you try getting the transcript directly online by creating an online account with the IRS? 

Here's an excellent article for people who are still waiting for their unemployment tax refund.  Please check it out and let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.

Thanks, 

Akil C. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment Tax refund

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7. If you didn't include the information there, you may need to file an amended return.

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.Here is some information that may help you regarding payments for additional refund due:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m... 

Second, you'll want to confirm you are eligible for the benefit. The unemployment exclusion does not apply if your household income is over $150,000.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427... 

Please note that the reduction in taxable income did not automatically result in an additional refund for all taxpayers. For example, if your income has already been reduced by your standard or itemized deduction to the level of no taxable income, there will be no additional effect on the unemployment income exclusion.   You can confirm your taxable income on line 15 of your 2020 Income Tax Return.

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, the IRS telephone number is 

1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning before heavy call volume.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies