turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SLEG19

Unemployment back paid in 2022 that was due in 2021

Due to severance pay, my unemployment was held in 2021, flagged for fraud.  This case went into adjudication while I continued to file each week.  With the backlog in processing, this issue was not resolved until October of 2022.  

At that time, they corrected the hold and paid the entire back pay amount, over $18,000.  I received a 1099-G from the state of Nevada, showing "for tax year 2022".

Due to this additional income, now my marketplace insurance shows a huge discrepancy, due to making too much money for the plan I qualified for.

Can someone help?

Should I contact State of NV for a corrected 2021 form, showing this, and amend my 2021 return?

Anyone have any experience with this, I'm sure this is a common problem.  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Unemployment back paid in 2022 that was due in 2021

Perhaps contact the Marketplace or Healthcare.gov for guidance.  Your income is taxed in the year received. Use this link to contact Healthcare.gov

What would you have the NV gov't amend for?  The year you were paid is the year that the income is included for tax purposes.  

The Marketplace uses an income number called modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) to determine eligibility for savings. It’s not a line on your tax return.

See what’s included in MAGI and how to estimate it.

Your MAGI is the total of the following for each member of your household who’s required to file a tax return:

• Your

adjusted gross income (AGI)

• on your federal tax return
  • Excluded foreign income
  • Nontaxable Social Security benefits (including tier 1 railroad retirement benefits)
  • Tax-exempt interest
  • MAGI does not include Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Income for ACA insurance

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies