Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

U.S. Citizen living in Canada

Hello,

I'm having an issue filing my tax return and I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance. Here is some quick background info.

I am a U.S. citizen who works in the U.S. but lives in Canada. My husband is a Canadian citizen and works in Canada. 

The question I have is when I am filling out my U.S. tax return on Turbo Tax I have selected 'Married filing Separately' and when I do this it asks for my husband's info as well. I can enter his name but it than asks for his Social Security Number which he does not have since he is a Canadian citizen. When I try to continue it throws up red flags since the Social Security number for husband is blank.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get by this or do I simply leave it blank and try to proceed. I'm concerned the IRS may flag this as a tax return not being filled out correctly.

Thanks for your time,

Catherine

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

U.S. Citizen living in Canada

You can try to e-file your tax return using the MFS filing status with a nonresident alien spouse by leaving his SSN blank and selecting My spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during 2023.

1. Bypass the screens with no SSN warnings.
  2. Select that you want to e-file your return and follow the instructions.
  3. If your tax return in rejected, follow the instructions to mail your tax return.

Refer to the TurboTax Help article How should I file my taxes if my spouse is a nonresident alien?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies