Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FL12
Level 1

TurboTax X form final number does not transfer to tax return

As turbo tax did not transfer my prior year rental loss from federal to state return, I paid tax and interest while I should have had a refund. Now I am correcting this error and I have another problem. I entered the tax I wrongly paid on form X, but the final refund number will not transfer to form 540 California tax return. The tax bureau instruction says it should transfer! And I cannot type in that number as the refund number on tax return is a calculated number. This is just a bug.

To get around this I tried to enter the tax I wrongly paid in my amended tax return, then the final refund number is right (which is what I am supposed to get), but on X form it has been double calculated. So the two numbers still do not match, which is contrary to tax bureau instruction.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Also, the interest I wrongly paid with my tax earlier, where do I enter that to get it back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Penalties:
1040-x Line 16: Subtract any penalty from the amount you owe reported on original 1040.
Don't try to include, but ignore, any new or changed penalty.
IRS will calculate your new penalty on their own and will bill you.

@FL12 

FL12
Level 1

Thank you for response. This is about my California state return. My federal return is fine and I am not changing it.

I should have got about $2000 refund but instead I paid $700 tax when I filed and $60 interest as TurboTax did not include the prior year rental loss on my state return. So I only need to amend the state return. The problem is if I do not include the $700 I paid on 540 amended and put it on the X form, the X form total does not transfer to the 540 form line 116/117, as California tax bureau defined. This is a bug. So I see $2000 refund from 540 amended, and $2700 refund from form X.

there is also a small problem of the $60 interest, not sure how I can get that back.

changing 1040-X is not going to change your state amendment.

You have to

• "Amend State"
  • revise your state return
  • Print your state amended return for review or mailing.

@FL12 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies