Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax won't allow me to file because of form 8915-F, but I didn't take a disaster distribution. How do I get rid of 8915?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax won't allow me to file because of form 8915-F, but I didn't take a disaster distribution. How do I get rid of 8915?

If you are sure you did not take a distribution in 2020, you can delete Form 8915-F.   Click on Forms in the upper right corner and find the form in the list.   Then click on Delete Form at the bottom.    If you did take the 2020 distribution, you can edit Form 8915-F.     See that link for more information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed all those instructions:  went to Forms list, found the offending forms 8915F-T and 8915F-S, selected each form one at a time, clicked Delete Form --- BUT THE FORM DOES NOT DELETE !!  And so TT just cycles around again to the same Smart Check with the same result. 

The error text says that I need to file an extension to take advantage of disaster relief benefits that are not yet part of TT.  But I don't NEEDdisaster relief help -- I JUST HIT THE WRONG BUTTON DURING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS -- SURELY THERE IS A WAY TO UNDO/OVERRIDE THIS ???

Thank You

OK, I just did some trial & error and figured out why I could not delete the 2 offending forms.  It's because for each of the 2 forms, I was trying to delete the line in the list that had the big red exclamation points next to it.  But apparently those lines are not capable of being deleted (would be nice if TT instructions mentioned that in the same window where the Form Delete button is shown -- i.e. context sensitive help).

So to delete the the red exclamation point lines, I guess I'm supposed to know to look above those 2 highlighted lines to 2 other form name lines having the matching form names (but without the red exclamation points and supplementary comments that aren't boldly highlighted and so don't stand out), and delete those 2 form name lines, which can be deleted.  Deleting those 2 form lines WILL delete the other 2 lines with the red exclamation points and allow me to finish my taxes! 

Some people will notice this, some won't.  Eventually, I did.  But after hours sitting looking at the screen boggling my mind with taxes, it would be nice if the software let me just do the obvious and delete the 2 form lines that had the big red markings, and then that would automatically delete the less noticeable matching form lines above.  Or just tell me more precisely that those lines can't be deleted and how I am supposed to get rid of them.  Also suggesting to customers that they need to change gears and file for a tax extension when all they did was hit a wrong radio button 20 screens earlier is not a good idea -- freaks people out.

Of course if you've worked for TT for 10 years you know which form lines can be deleted and which can't.  But have mercy on those of us who only use the SW once a year !!  I think that would be a useful SW enhancement and very easy to do (having spent 35+ years writing SW).

Overall, I think TT SW is well-written and fairly easy to use.  Maybe what is needed just more help when the SW won't let you proceed simply because you made an entry error.  Actually, I caught that mistake before any of this came up and at that time went back to that interview screen and changed my answer to "No, this isn't related to any disaster relief in the last 2 years" -- but ... TT did not record that correction and left those 2 disaster relief forms active, when they should have been deleted by TT on the spot.  I would say that's a bug that should be fixed -- and its in other places too -- when you go back and change your entry about something, TT doesn't always clean things up on the spot as they should.  I know it's hard to catch everything, but hey, you're TT and have been around forever !!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies