Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jim_888
Returning Member

Turbotax Premier miscalculated my tax

IRS Notice CP23 states that I underpaid the tax that was calculated by TurboTax:

The total of the numbers from Form 1040 line 25d, 1040 line 26, SCH3 line 10, 1040 lines 27-30, SCH 3 lines 9,11,12,14, and my tax payment  (calculated by TurboTax) IS Less Than the Total Tax (1040 line  24).  So the IRS asks for payment plus penalties and interests.  

Did anyone have the same experience?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

i'm assuming it's your 2020 return because those schedule 3 lines you cite do not exist in the 2021/2022 schedule 3. it could also be you 2019 return but the line numbers don't line up.  it seems that all the lines you mention are calculated based on your entries.  you do not cite which specific lines the IRS disagrees with. it's doubtful it's a Turbotax error but it could be an IRS error. you need to check those lines against what you filed. post back in this thread with more details like the specific line or lines if you have additional questions.  if it was a joint return, a very common error is to not indicate that a w-2 belongs to the spouse resulting in an excess social security credit (schedule 3 line 10) that does not exist. another common error is not indicating the correct advanced recovery rebate credit ( 1040 line 30). the recovery rebate worksheet is not part of the tax return. 

should it in fact be a Turbotax computational error you can file a claim for the penalties and interest. you are still responsible for the taxes.

jim_888
Returning Member

Hello Mike,

It's TurboTax 2022.

I attached the photos of the IRS Notice 23 for your review.  

The Other Payment Received - $46,507 is the tax calculated by TurboTax 2022. 

Thank you so much for your help.IRS Notice CP23 - 1.jpgIRS Notice CP23 -2.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies