Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is using Sched 1 Line 1 worksheet to calculate taxability of my state tax refund when it shouldn't

I used the QDCG worksheet to calculate my 2022 taxes, which were zero because my QDCG income far exceeded my taxable income. Pub 525 says you don't use the Sched 1 Line 1 worksheet in these circumstances to determine the taxability of a state tax refund. It's actually not taxable, but I can't figure out how to tell TurboTax not to use the worksheet. Is there a way to get TurboTax to handle this properly or should I just delete the worksheet and not enter into TurboTax the refund reported to the IRS on a 1099-G?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is using Sched 1 Line 1 worksheet to calculate taxability of my state tax refund when it shouldn't

That is correct, if NOT CLAIMING the state tax on the 2022 would have the same effect on your 2022 federal tax liability, you needn't report the 1099-G. 

Keep the copy of the 1099-G with your tax file but, in your situation, don't enter it into the TurboTax program. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you take the standard deduction on your TY 22 return?  If so, the state refund is not taxable.   Taxpayers who itemize their deductions on their federal income tax returns and receive a state tax refund must include the refund in income only if they deducted the state tax paid.  Because of the $10,000 limit on itemized deductions for state income and property taxes, some itemizers are not able to deduct all the state taxes they paid and do not need to include a refund in income.

I itemized. The issue is that even if I had not entered my state taxes on Schedule A my tax liability would still have been zero because all of my taxable income was QDCG and in the 0% bracket. The IRS says the refund is not taxable in 2023 if there was no tax benefit from claiming the deduction in 2022. See Pub 525 (2003) page 25.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

That is correct, if NOT CLAIMING the state tax on the 2022 would have the same effect on your 2022 federal tax liability, you needn't report the 1099-G. 

Keep the copy of the 1099-G with your tax file but, in your situation, don't enter it into the TurboTax program. 

Thanks. It looks like the simplest way to prevent TurboTax from using the Sched 1 Line 1 worksheet is to check the box that says I took the standard deduction. Hopefully this won't mess up other things. We'll see.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies