Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cangabr

Turbotax is not reading Koinly's Form 8949 & Sched D and their Turbotax CSV has different headers. How do I get my crypto activity recorded on Koinly into Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is not reading Koinly's Form 8949 & Sched D and their Turbotax CSV has different headers. How do I get my crypto activity recorded on Koinly into Turbotax?

Are you able to download a .csv file from Koinly?  I have been able to upload a .csv file to TurboTax Premier Online.

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Your income / Investments and Savings.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Add investments.
  • At the screen Get ready to be impressed, click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • At the screen OK, let’s start with one investment type, select Cryptocurrency.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Select your crypto experience, select Upload.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen What’s the name of the crypto service, select Other and enter the name of the service.
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Go ahead and upload your crypto CSV file, upload the file.

The .csv should follow this format.

• All the columns from the .csv file were deleted except for the five columns listed below.   
  • All other lines other than the headings and the five columns of data were deleted.

•    Purchase Date
  •    Date Sold
  •    Proceeds
  •    Cost Basis
  •    Currency Name

This is the .csv file format.

A                   B              C                  D                   E

purchase date  date sold    proceeds   cost basis   currency name

11/24/2021        2/1/2022    1,779.96     1,916.52         ABFOA

12/7/2021          4/1/2022    1,111.46     1,225.45         ABFOA

11/24/2021        3/1/2022    1,638.54     1,638.54         ABFOA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
syklor

I'm getting this error message after deleting the header that I dont need and only leaving:

Purchase Date, Date sold, Proceeds, cost basis, and Currency Name.

Error is:

You uploaded a CSV file containing Gain/Loss information. Please go back and choose the respective Gain/Loss provider to upload this file.

Not sure what to do next?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Leave the header that you deleted and try again.

@syklor 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jcon122

Im having the same issue- with headers or without headers the csv is not loading and showing the same error

jcon122

Figured it out- for anyone with the same issue, make sure to enter the documents NOT via the "Crypto CSV" choice, rather to go to the "Ill enter it myself" workflow

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies