Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SMT JR
Returning Member

TurboTax Instruction to File Form 8453 - Is Wrong When I Fully Included Form 8949 Info in the E-Filed Return?

The Turbotax Electronic Filing Instructions for my completed and e-filed return say "What You Need to Mail/ Form 8453.  . . .  Mail Form 8453 promptly after your return is accepted with attached
| forms and supporting documents listed on Form 8453.   Attach the following items to Form 8453: Form 8949 or an acceptable Continuation Sheet for Schedule D."  That sounds like I need to file Form 8453, but I think that is wrong.   The Form 8453 included with the Electronic Filing Instructions has a circle filled in that says: "Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (or a statement with the same information), if you elect not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949."   (Emphasis added.)   I imported my Form 1099-B from my broker into the Turbotax program, and it included all of the Form 8949 information on that Form 1099-B.  Turbotax generated Forms 8949 as part of the return.  So I think I have electronically reported my "transactions electronically on Form 8949."  If I am correct that I am not required to file Form 8949, I suggest that TurboTax change its confusing and misleading Electronic Filing Instructions to say:

"You need not file Form 8453 if your electronically-filed return already included the item(s) indicated on the Form 8453 we are providing to you.  For example, if only the circle on Form 8453 for Form 8949 is checked, and you fully imported your broker online all of the Form 8949 information on your Form 1099-B, electronically, and the electronic version of your return includes all of that information, you do not need to transmit Form 8453 with paper copies of the Forms 8949 to the IRS."  

If I am wrong, and I do need to file Form 8453, I'd appreciate hearing why.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies