Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax doesn't like the fact that my brokerage put a transaction dated in 2023 into my 2022 1099 form. I imported the information successfully, but now it won't efile

It wants me to fix the dates somehow, but I have no way to do so since that's what was reported. How can I override and e-file anyway??
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax doesn't like the fact that my brokerage put a transaction dated in 2023 into my 2022 1099 form. I imported the information successfully, but now it won't efile

Did you take action at the end of December that settled on a business day in January?

Delete that transaction and report it on your 2023 tax return.

@marktboulder 

I revised my answer above.

@marktboulder 

Problem is that this is what was reported in my 1099, so anything I do to change it will cause a mismatch with the information that went to the IRS. The brokerage said they had reported things appropriately. I happen to think it looks wrong, but they were fairly insistent. If I delete it from this year, then I have to remember to add it on to next year, and it’s not at all clear that that’s the correct thing to do.

If you use EDIT/UPDATE to change the date to be in 2022, again you are mismatching.

Go ahead if you think you are right and broker is not right.

It's your job to file the correct Form 8949.

Some brokers give 1099-B correctly according to IRS reporting requirements and some do not.

File an extension request if you want more time to decide what to do.

@marktboulder 

I still say a Date Disposed of 2023 goes on your 2023 tax return.

the broker should have held that transaction for your next year consolidated 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies