Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RodenbaughDJ
Returning Member

TurboTax Deluxe letting me claim EV charger credit when my census tract GEOID is not in Appendix A or B

Intuit just made updates relating to Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling property tax credit. I entered the cost of the home charger & installation, my census tract geoid, and address. TurboxTax calculated that I'm eligible for the 30% tax credit.  However, my GEOID does not show up in Appendix A or B, and the Dept of Energy spatial map on this topic indicates my neighborhood is not eligible.  I'm concerned that TurboTax is not bothering to verify that the GEOID is in the eligibility appendices.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to take the credit, but I'm worried the IRS will reject the return.    Should I just trust TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jafttu
Returning Member

TurboTax Deluxe letting me claim EV charger credit when my census tract GEOID is not in Appendix A or B

I am having the same issue.  I guess I will just delete the form.

RodenbaughDJ
Returning Member

Hi jafttu,

Yes, I decided to delete the 8911 form and submit my return without it so so as to not risk delaying my federal and state refunds (which include the more significant $7500 & $5000 EV purchase tax credits, respectively). Didn't want those held up because of a much smaller Form 8911 EV charger/install tax credit eligibility issue.  When my refunds have been deposited, I MIGHT submit an amended federal return to get the EV charger/install tax credit - IF, for example, I learn the census tract restriction only applies to businesses, not personal equipment, as someone on a different forum speculated. But as I read the Form 8911 instructions, it sure doesn't say anything about personal equipment not being constrained by the census tract test. I wish Intuit would come out and say  if TurboTax is supposed to be checking the GEOID is in Appendix A or B, or if that responsibility falls on the filer when they enter the "qualified" expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies