billjaklitsch

TurboTax Deluxe 2020 for Windows says my Federal and NY State returns can’t be efiled because a tax software update is needed even though my software is updated. Help.

Online update says my software is up to date. How do I get the update the efile message says I need? Is TurboTax not yet ready for this situation?
gloriah5200

Yes, you can still update the state software by deleting your state return and then downloading the state software before you recreate the state return.

billjaklitsch

I contacted TurboTax customer service and explained my problem. The representative sent me a link to a manual update program. After I ran that program, I was able to e-file both my federal and NY state returns together. The representative did not know why the online update option within TurboTax did not provide the needed update.