Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lrambabu1
Returning Member

Turbotax Delux Desktop Federal: Form 4797 Part I says "From K-1" for the Description. But the gain shown doesn't match the 1231 gain on my K-1's. Pl help me understand.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Turbotax Delux Desktop Federal: Form 4797 Part I says "From K-1" for the Description. But the gain shown doesn't match the 1231 gain on my K-1's. Pl help me understand.

you might have had a 1231 loss carryforward. Only the net carries to the 4797

switch to forms mode and review the k-1 worksheet,

lrambabu1
Returning Member

Sorry, getting back to this now, as I need to finish my taxes before my next trip.

@Mike9241 wrote:

you might have had a 1231 loss carryforward. Only the net carries to the 4797

switch to forms mode and review the k-1 worksheet,

Actually the number on 4797 part 1, $9,859, seems to be the total of allowed losses from all of my k-1's.

Why is that same number shown as a gain on 4797 instead?

I think if you look closely you'll see that whenever you have a useable loss, they show the equivalent amount of gain for it to offset.  That amount of gain is then subtracted off your original gain to get your net gain.  

there should be a page 3 to form 8582 where you should see where the 4797 gain is coming from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies