Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax counted my MCTMT deduction twice

I'm having an issue with my turbotax, it seems to have counted my MCTMT under estimated tax payments, but also added in my prior payments into the MCMT section as well doubling the amount I reported withheld and now I owe Turbotax the overage.  Seems like a glitch.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify your question please?  TurboTax fees are independent of any tax withheld to any state taxing agencies.

Did you enter your MCTMT taxes in the wrong place in TurboTax when you entered the information to file your tax return?  Please comment back with more details so we can assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I entered the amount sent to NYS where it asked for my prepayments which include both prepayment of income tax and Mctmt then in the worksheet I did the worksheet for mctmt to who what I put in there.  The hard copy print out shows income tax prepaid which h for NY includes estimated income taxes and estimated mctmt is there but TurboTax added mctmt twice.  

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you entered the same tax payments in 2 areas of the program which resulted in the tax payments being reported twice in your return.  

The MCTMT payments should have been entered in the state interview section of the program.  

1. In this state section, you would need to proceed through the screens until you get to the screen titled "take a look at New York credits and taxes."
  2. On this page, you need to scroll down to the section titled New York City and Metro Commuted Taxes.
  3. Then, select edit/start to the right of Metro Commuter Transportation District Self-Employment Income.
  4. Proceed through the screens until you see the page allowing you to enter the dates of the payments and the amounts paid as shown in the sample page below.

If you entered the payments anywhere else with TurboTax, you should consider amending the return to make the correction.  However, if the taxing agency has already sent you a letter informing you of the error, then you can simply follow the instructions in the letter to remedy the error.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies