turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Business won't let me efile, tells me I need to correct Special Name Control for trust filing. I have verified that the Special Name Control is correct. ???

Trust name and date are correct. I have already filed 2 trusts with no trouble. Special Name control matches form CP575B. What gives?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Business won't let me efile, tells me I need to correct Special Name Control for trust filing. I have verified that the Special Name Control is correct. ???

Yes, you can check, and change,  the name control on the Fiduciary Information Worksheet. It's a four letter code used to verify the name of the trust and it may not match the name, or IRS records. 

Here's how to find it:

1. Open your software, then the trust return.
  2. Select the Forms icon in the upper right corner. 
  3. Highlight Information WKS in the list on the left.
  4. You will see the Special Name Control in the box at the right end of the first line. 

If your trust is named for a person, the name control will be the first four letters of the last name. For example, if your trust is named The John C. Smith Revocable Trust, the name control is SMIT. 

If the trust is named The Western Reserve Trust, the name control would be WEST. 

The special name control can't have any special characters other than & or - , but it can have numbers or letters.  If you need more help figuring out the name control, follow this link for more details. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well, the first word in the name of the trust is only 3 letters. The name control is those 3 letters, and the first letter of the next word, omitting the space, as per IRS instructions. This matches IRS form Cp 575B for this trust. So, I know what the name control is, and it is correct.

However turbotax throws an error about the 4th character, the 1st letter of the second word in the name of the trust. I finally tried just deleting that character, and having turbotax use a 3-letter name control that doesn't match IRS form CP575B, and then turbotax accepted & confirmed the e-file. 

I don't know what's going on, this is my first time having to deal with name control, but it feels like a bug in turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies