Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax and Form 8606-T not recording all RMDs

I turned 72 in 2022.  At the beginning of 2022 I had two retirements accounts 1) 401K with Fidelity and 2) A traditional IRA with Vanguard. In 2022, I initiated a RMD of $10K from the Vanguard IRA and have a 1099-R form. Also in 2022, I initiated the transfer of the 401K funds to the Vanguard IRA. Before Fidelity would transfer the funds they took an RMD of $76K for which I have a 1099-R form.. I also have a $82K basis for non-deductible contributions. The final balance as of 12/31/2022 in the Vanguard IRA is $2M (original IRA  plus 401K Fidelity funds). I enter all this info into TurboTax Premier and follow the prompts. In an effort to see how the tax forms got filled out and to make sure I was getting credit for the non-deductible contributions I looked at form 8606-T and was surprised to see that line 7 (total RMDs) only had the $10K amount and did not include the $76K.  Shouldn't Line 7 be $86K? How do I get TurboTax to record this properly. Could this be a bug in TurboTax, if so how do I proceed getting this resolved?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, the RMD distribution from your 401(k) Fidelity won't be listed on line 7 of Form 8606. Line 7 lists distributions from traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs in 2022.

Please see line 7 instructions for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, the RMD distribution from your 401(k) Fidelity won't be listed on line 7 of Form 8606. Line 7 lists distributions from traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs in 2022.

Please see line 7 instructions for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies