Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MikeJ807
Returning Member

TurboTax and Ampersand Characters

Hello.  I have encountered two different errors when TT online is reviewing my 2022 Federal 1040 return prior to e-filing.

First is Form 1099-B Worksheet - Capital Asset Sale Wksht (1):  Desription is invalid for Electronic Filing.  Please remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters.  It shows the Description field with only an "&" but the actual Worksheet below takes literally over 5 minutes to display (!).  What I then do is just change "&" to "and".  However, the field in question must be present multiple times in the same worksheet, as I have to make the same correction multiple times (each time waiting 5+ minutes for the page to fully display--very annoying).  The field in question is "Name(s) Shown on Return".  It has our names as "John B & Jane D Smith".  I assume TT generates this value, as we do not specify it like that anywhere on our return.  Why does TT generate "&" in this field when evidently the IRS does not accept it, thus requiring us to correct it?

Second is similar for a 1099-B sale.  The Box 1a -Description is blanked out and the error is "Needs info".  The original field value contains a fund name like "U S Aerospace & Defense", but I had to search through 50 pages in my 1099-B to find it based the Proceeds, Date, and Basis figures displayed.  Again, I changed "&" to "and" and the review completed successfully.

I have not e-filed yet, but I assume the IRS will not reject this return with the changes I made.

I see other posts about "&" not being treated correctly in W-2 Employer Box C values, but the above problems appear to be different?

Please advise if this is a known or new bug, or (for the fund name with "&") maybe I need to contact my financial institution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies