Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax added $460 due to the extension I just filed after TaxCaster confirmed I am due a $762 refund and Line 4 shows 0 tax liability? Line 6 shows $460 due?

I am surprised their algorithm did not pick up such an obvious contradiction, unless Line 6 in Part II on Form 4868 is showing the Balance Due to me, rather than from me? Thanks ahead of time for any explanations that the community can provide.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax added $460 due to the extension I just filed after TaxCaster confirmed I am due a $762 refund and Line 4 shows 0 tax liability? Line 6 shows $460 due?

Line 4 is your estimated tax liability and line 5 is what you have paid in, so line 6 is the tax due (line 4 minus line 5. ) The amount listed on line 6 is just an estimated tax due, so you don't have to make a payment if you think you don't owe anything. It won't cause any trouble if you file the extension showing a balance due and then don't make a payment. You would only incur penalties and interest if your actual tax return showed a balance due and you paid it late.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your quick reply and explanation of Lines 4, 5 &6 Thomas. I totally understand the sequence of all three lines, and that Line 6 is determined by subtracting Line 5 from Line 4. All of that makes total sense to me and has always been accurate for every previous year that our former accountant filed extensions for my wife and I. But, if you follow the logic of what you just confirmed and what we both agree makes sense, deducting Line 5 ($460) from Line 4 ($0.00) can only be Zero, or more accurately -$460, if the IRS algorithms allows for negative numbers on Line 6, which would mean that the IRS owes me an additional $460 dollars. Since Form 4868 clearly doesn't allow for negative numbers on Line 6, then the only result possible on Line 6 is $0.00, if you subtract Line 5 from Line 4, especially when Taxcaster determined that I'm owed a $762 refund for 2021. So, it appears that TurboTax's algorithm has made a glaring mistake, unless Intuit has decided to change the fundamental principles of mathematics.  If this portal allowed for attachments, I'd attach the final summary panel from Taxcaster, so you can see the full detail yourself. Regards, Paul  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies