turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2022 not reporting long-term capital losses in AMT Schedule D, for box F

While doing my taxes for 2023, I had to check my AMT carry-over capital losses from Turbotax 2022 (Schedule D). I noticed it was much lower than my non-AMT Schedule D.

Upon investigation, it turns out that Turbotax 2022 did not include my losses with box F checked.

More precisely, in the table above line 8 in Part II of AMT Schedule D, the box (b) is missing for the line where it should be "F". And the line 10 is also empty.

In Turbotax 2023, I have similar capital losses and the line 10 is similar in the AMT vs non-AMT form.

The box (b) in the table above is also containing F.

So this really seems to be a bug with TurboxTax 2022.

But this has very negative impact for me because now my AMT carry-over is highly under-estimated.

Note that I am not subject to AMT but AMT computation is performed by TurboTax.

My questions are:

1. Can you confirm this was a bug and needs to be fixed the way I indicated?

2. Do I need to send a revised tax form for 2022 or can I just manually fix the carry-over in 2023 (setting the AMT carry-over equal to the non-AMT one) without sending an amendment?

Additional note: I deleted the entries corresponding to these capital losses and added them again to no avail. I still have the issue. I can provide in DM to a TurboTax support member the source of these capital losses if this help debugging the issue.

Note 2: It seems related to https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-amt-schedule-d-is-... - however, this post does not solve my question of what I should do now that things are inappropriately reported.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Turbotax 2022 not reporting long-term capital losses in AMT Schedule D, for box F

For the AMT calculation for this year - since you did not trigger the AMT in 2022 you can just adjust the amount of the carryforward to be correct on the 2023 return and there is no need to go back and correct 2022.

@overshadow 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

For the AMT calculation for this year - since you did not trigger the AMT in 2022 you can just adjust the amount of the carryforward to be correct on the 2023 return and there is no need to go back and correct 2022.

@overshadow 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies