Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurborTax doesn't recognize the extended estimated filing deadline(2023) for CA residents

I am using TurborTax desktop version to prepare 2023 return. As announced by IRS and also mentioned by Intuit earlier in 2023, the qualified CA residents can have until 11/16/2023 to pay their Q1/Q2/Q3 estimated tax . Below is what specified in the Intuit blog.

• Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment: Tax Year 2022 4th quarter estimated tax payment with a deadline of January 17, 2023 and Tax Year 2023 estimated tax payments normally due April 18, June 15 and Sept. 15 have been extended until November 16, 2023. This means that individual taxpayers can skip making the fourth quarter estimated tax payment, normally due January 17, 2023, and instead include it with the 2022 return they file, on or before November 16.

As a CA resident in one of the 55 eligible counties,  I paid my first 3 quarters(2023) estimated tax in Oct 2023, but Turbotax thinks I am late and adds a penalty to my 1040. Please advise what I should do here.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurborTax doesn't recognize the extended estimated filing deadline(2023) for CA residents

I suggest that you list the payments as though they had been filed by the original deadlines (or all in the first quarter) and then attach a statement saying that you actually paid these taxes on the date you did, that you are in an eligible county, and so forth. This will prevent TT from adding the penalty without you having to wait in the hope they will add that variation to the form. The statement will explain why you are doing this if anyone at the IRS reviews it and questions it.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing. It's a good suggestion to add statement. But my new question is how I can attach statement/add explanation when filing return via TurboTax? Is there any place in the TT software for me to do so and get the statement/explanation reflected in the return?

alt-click on a data field and you get a set of options including adding detail. On the statement, there is a checkbox re inclusion in filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies