turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT taking me in circles with 1098T form and who pays tax on scholarship portion used for housing

My dependent student received a 1098 T form where box 1 is $33,303 and box 5 is $42,400.  Of the scholarship amount listed in box 5, $9500 of that went to housing, which is a non-qualified expense, so I know we have to pay taxes on that amount.  When I add the form to my taxes, TT says that my dependent student must file a return and claim education expenses on their return. When I enter my student's tax info for their return, TT says they can't claim an education credit (which I already knew) because I'm claiming them as a dependent. The problem is TT is not charging the tax that needs to be paid from the scholarship portion used for housing ($9500) to either of our taxes--at least from what I can see, neither of our tax bills increase.  What am I doing wrong? Never thought my 1st post would be asking how get TT to charge me MORE in taxes! Other things that may be helpful:

• I have a 529 where my spouse is the owner (recipient) but our child is the beneficiary
  • I received a 1099 Q form from that 529 but ALL of the distribution was used for qualified expenses and is not subject to tax
  • I did enter the 1099 Q info on my taxes but not my student's
  • My dependent is NOT required to file taxes based on earn/unearned income limits
  • I can not claim any education credit on my taxes due to income limits

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

TT taking me in circles with 1098T form and who pays tax on scholarship portion used for housing

Great information. You need to:

1. Remove the 1099-Q from your return since it is all a qualified distribution. IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education states on page 45: Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return.

2. Scholarship income is earned income for purposes of deciding if a return needs to be filed. If her total earned income is below the filing threshold of $13,850 there is no need to file a tax return for your daughter. If it is over that, then you do need to file a tax return for her and she may be subject to the kiddie tax. Scholarship income is considered unearned income for purposes of the kiddie tax.

See- What is the Kiddie Tax?  & About Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Investment Income...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC I went back and re-entered all the info for my student's taxes and it turns out it did add the scholarship money as unearned income. I don't know why it didn't do it the first time around. I had to clear everything out and start over. Thank you very much! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies