Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT insists on 6198 for s corp shareholder

Basis is 0, no money at risk, yet TT insists on creating a 6198, no matter what it seems, including reporting allowed losses stemming from passive carryovers as income in 6198. Also, the only options to select in K-1 Part II (f) is ALL or some investment is at risk, not NO investment at risk. What gives? Tax year 2019.

Can disallowed losses due to basis limitation be reported on form 6198 for a passive s corp shareholder?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did @Mike9241 answer this in another thread?

Not that I'm aware of, but please point me if so.

i thought there was an answer from someone else.  Turbotax does not track basis so losses would be allowed unless you use the at-risk form.  For most private S-Corps basis and at-risk numbers are the same. in your case 0.  to prevent the losses from being deducted in Turbotax, 

step-by-step mode

1) check the box I have at-risk losses carrying over from 2018. do not check that you have passive activity losses carrying over 

2) you do not enter the carryover as a passive loss carryover. as you go through the screens you should come to one that asks about at-risk carryovers. that's where it gets entered. 

3)  you'll come to a page that asks you to choose between the simplified method and the detailed method. choose one. the results will be the same as long as the lines are properly completed.

detailed method 6198 line 19b  = 0

simplified method adjusted basis 1/1/2019  = 0 

let's say $10K current year income $20K at-risk loss carryover

line 1 of the 6198 would show a -$10K

schedule e page 2 would show the $10K of income offset on the next line by PYA loss $10K  = net zero 

your original post was a little confusing to me in that it seem to say the 6198 was reporting income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies