Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to elope! Help, please!!

If my husband files "married filling separate" can I still be my parents dependant? Also without them knowing I'm married?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What tax year are we dealing with here?

It would be for tax year 2018.
Carl
Level 15

This response applies to your situation only, as I understand it, and no other. If you are required to file state taxes, I do not know for a fact if it will apply to your specific state or not. Only federal taxes.

If on Dec 31 of the tax year you are married and:

Under the age of 19

*****OR****

Under the age of 24 and;

- A full time college student for any one semester that started in the tax year and;

- you were enrolled in a course of study that will lead to a degree or credentialed certification, and;

- you were enrolled in a qualified educational institution or vocational school, and;

- You did *NOT* provide more than 50% of your own support (Scholarships, grants, 529 funds, gifts from Aunt Mary etc. *do* *not* *count* for you providing your own support.) and;

- You file as Married Filing Separate and;

- Your husband files as married filing separate and does NOT take *your* exemption on his return,;

****OR ****

You were over the age of 18 and NOT a student, and;

- You have less than $4,050 of taxable income from all sources for the entire year, and;

- You are filing Married Filing Separate, and;

- Your husband is filing Married Filing Separate and does not take *your* exemption, and;

- You did not provide more than 50% of your own support, and;

- Your parents *DID* provide. more than 50% of your own support, then;

Your parents can claim you as a dependent on their tax return. If you qualify as a dependent in this scenario as a college student, then your parents will claim all education expenses on their return regardless of who paid those expenses, and your parents will claim all education deductions and credits on their return.

In all scenarios above, you *must* file as Married Filing Separate, and you *must* select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's return" when you file your return.

So as to reduce the likelihood of an erroneous rejection of an e-filed return by the IRS computers, I would highly advise you let your parents e-file first. With all the massive changes to the tax law for 2018, you can expect the IRS to have problems with their computers, to include rejections that probably should not be rejected. So let the parent's e-file first. Otherwise, your parents may find out about your marital status before you're ready for them to know. I feel for the groom, because regardless of when the parents find out, they are not going to like him. 🙂

-

Thank you so much this was very helpful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies