Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mirka1
Returning Member

Transfer money from overseas account to US account

I am a green card holder, non tax payer. I recently transferred money (under $100,000) from my overseas account to US account. Do I need to inform IRS? Also, do I need to let them know about my overseas account? Since I have never filed tax returns, I never mentioned about my overseas account.. The money in my account was only gifts from my parents until recently when I sold my property. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mirka1 

(a) A US person ( citizen/ GreenCard / Resident for Tax purposes )  come under the rules of FBAR and FATCA.  Even if you do not have any income in USA ( requiring a return filing ) FBAR is required once you  cross the threshold of US$10,000  aggregate if you  own and/or have signature authority  over foreign bank account(s).

The FATCA ( form 8938  with your return ) has a higher threshold but include other assets ( liquid or near liquid ).

(b) The sale / alienation  of real property / assets need to be reported to the IRS / State  on your return for the year when the transaction  was consummated.

(c) Gifts  from NRA ( assuming that the donors were Non-Resident Aliens )  may also need to be reported depending on whether the amount was equal/greater than US$100,000.  If the donors were US persons, then they also needed to file form 709.

All this leaves  me at a loss to understand  exactly why  you never had to file a return ?  When did you enter the USA  ?  Was this your first entry ?  When did you get your  GreenCard  ?  Which  country are you from   ( for purposes of Treaty  articles and double taxation / foreign tax credit  etc. ) ?

I will circle back once I hear from you 

pk

Mirka1
Returning Member

@pk I'm a stay at home parent. Never earned any taxable income, so never filed returns.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mirka1 , understand but the rest of my answer still stand.

Is there something I can help you with ?

Mirka1
Returning Member

@pk with regards to gifts, it was never anywhere close to $10,000. I'm trying to repatriate money from my overseas account I have from the sale of property that was in my name.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mirka1 , I would still like to point out that when you dispose of any property anywhere AND you are a US Person ( citizen/ GreenCard /  Resident for Tax purposes ), you have to recognize that disposition and pay taxes  to the US on that  gain.

Is there more I can do for you ?

Mirka1
Returning Member

Got it. Capital gains tax has been paid in the other country,  I know it's not taxable here. Just wanted to know whether I had to inform IRS about money repatriated to my a/c here. Thanks for your help!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mirka1   NO that is not true .   Once you have become  a  US Person ( citizen / GreenCard / Resident for Tax purposes ), you are required to recognize your world income and be taxed by the IRS on it.    Thus if the sale/ disposition occurred  after you became a US person, that transaction need to be recognized ( reported ) and be taxed , even if  it has already been taxed  by the country where the asset was situated.     

Please recognize that  the penalty  for non filing of a return / failure to pay taxes,/ failure to file FBAR and  FATCA forms  are very onerous.   Please follow the laws and truthfully so.

Monies transferred to the US and deposited in a US bank account, falls under  treasury rules  and any amount over US$10,000 will generally  cause the bank to raise  SAR ( Suspicious   Activity Report  ) as a matter of course and  usually nothing happens --  larger the amount more likely to draw  US treasury attention.

Is there more I can do for you ?

Mirka1
Returning Member

Thanks for your help! I'll look into it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies