Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA Recharacterization and Roth IRA Conversion at next year before extension

I have a complex IRA contribution issue:

on 12/12/2022: made Roth IRA contribution of $5000 for Year 2022

on 02/27/2023: made Roth IRA contribution of $1000 for Year 2022

on 04/15/2023: filed federal tax extension

on 10/01/2023: re-characterized $6000 + gain to Traditional IRA, due to income limit

on 10/16/2023: filed 2023 tax extension with recharacterization reported.

Then I realized I have until 11/16/2023 to file my extension because I am living in California county which was declared as national disaster area.  So I am planning to do backdoor conversion of $6000 from traditional IRA to Roth IRA.  My question is, do I need to amend 2022 return to report this conversion? If so, how? And if not, how do I report both re-characterization and the backdoor conversion in 2023 tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Traditional IRA Recharacterization and Roth IRA Conversion at next year before extension

The filing deadline being extended to 11/16/2023 has nothing to do with your situation.  If you do a Roth conversion in 2023, it reportable on your 2023 tax return.  Roth conversions are performed in a particular year, not for some other year.

$6,000 plus gains was the amount transferred to accomplish the recharacterization, not the amount recharacterized.  You recharacterized $6,000.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The filing deadline being extended to 11/16/2023 has nothing to do with your situation.  If you do a Roth conversion in 2023, it reportable on your 2023 tax return.  Roth conversions are performed in a particular year, not for some other year.

$6,000 plus gains was the amount transferred to accomplish the recharacterization, not the amount recharacterized.  You recharacterized $6,000.  

Thanks a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies