Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

total Section 179 carryover shown here does not match the sum of the Section 179 carryovers shown on each individual activity

I am using Online Turbotax.

I did some research that referred me to Form 4562, but I am not able to get to this form, to make changes, because the Online Turbotax does not allow it.

Please help.

This is the error I am getting

section 179p.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

total Section 179 carryover shown here does not match the sum of the Section 179 carryovers shown on each individual activity

You can look at your form 4562 from 2020 and you will see the correct section 179 carryover amount listed on line 13. If it is the same as the number you see above on line 24, then you may have entered a new asset in 2021 and entered a section 179 deduction from a previous year for it. If so, try deleting the section 179 amount from the previous year to see if that removes the error message. 

If the amount on line 13 on the previous year form 4562 is different from the entry above, then change the amount in the box on the error screen to equal the amount on line 13.

Also, if you deleted an asset that had a carryover section 179 loss that could create a problem. If so, try re-entering it and if that resolves the error message, make sure you enter the correct information when you report the disposition of the asset.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can look at your form 4562 from 2020 and you will see the correct section 179 carryover amount listed on line 13. If it is the same as the number you see above on line 24, then you may have entered a new asset in 2021 and entered a section 179 deduction from a previous year for it. If so, try deleting the section 179 amount from the previous year to see if that removes the error message. 

If the amount on line 13 on the previous year form 4562 is different from the entry above, then change the amount in the box on the error screen to equal the amount on line 13.

Also, if you deleted an asset that had a carryover section 179 loss that could create a problem. If so, try re-entering it and if that resolves the error message, make sure you enter the correct information when you report the disposition of the asset.

longago38
Returning Member

if i cannot fix the section 179 error will i be able to file my taxes anyway?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Once you complete your tax return you should run your review to see if you have any filing errors.  If you have a filing error relating to Section 179 carryovers, you can print your 2021 Tax return with all supporting worksheets and Forms the "Tools" as follows:

For TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open your return by selecting Continue or Pick up where you left off
  2. Select Tax Tools from the left menu, then Print Center (on mobile devices, tap in the upper left corner to expand the menu)
  3. Select Print, save, or preview this year's return, and follow any additional instructions. 
  4. Once your PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader, select the printer icon near the top
  5. Make any adjustments in the Print window and then select Print at the bottom

You may report a Section 179 Depreciation Carryover from a prior year on your current return. By entering this on your current return, the carryover will be available next year if you cannot use the deduction this year.

@longago38 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies