Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Third party sick pay (long term disability) from an insurance company taxable income for California?

I am confused on the issue because the state provided disability insurance (which I am not receiving) does not get taxed per my comprehension of what I have read. This however, does not specifically mention third party disability insurance for California being included or excluded. I appreciate any experience or references to help answer this one.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Third party sick pay (long term disability) from an insurance company taxable income for California?

According to this State of California source payments made by third parties are fully taxable to an individual.  These payments are also known as short-term disability payments. There are exceptions where some payment are not considered third party pay.

• Payments made by a third party when the employee has paid the premiums. 
  • Sick pay which is made after the first six calendar months following the last calendar month in which the employee performed services for the employer. 
  • Payments received under a workers’ compensation law and SDI payments.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this State of California source payments made by third parties are fully taxable to an individual.  These payments are also known as short-term disability payments. There are exceptions where some payment are not considered third party pay.

• Payments made by a third party when the employee has paid the premiums. 
  • Sick pay which is made after the first six calendar months following the last calendar month in which the employee performed services for the employer. 
  • Payments received under a workers’ compensation law and SDI payments.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies