Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is a question on my state return that asks “are you a divorced parent subject to a court order allocating Idaho credits” we have a court order but never married???

Do I answer yes because there is a court order or no because we were never married?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There is a question on my state return that asks “are you a divorced parent subject to a court order allocating Idaho credits” we have a court order but never married???

Answer yes, because there was a court order.  To adhere to Idaho law, this should be interpreted as "a divorced parent or parent who doesn't live with the other parent."

According to Line 25 Idaho Child Tax Credit Worksheet in the Instructions for Individual Income Tax 2023

To qualify for the Idaho Child Tax Credit, the child must:

• Be your qualifying child, and

• Be age 16 or under as of December 31, 2023

If you don’t have a qualifying child, you can’t claim the credit.

For divorced parents or parents who don’t live together, the custodial parent claims the qualifying child.

The noncustodial parent may claim the child if:

• A court has awarded the right to claim the child for tax purposes to the noncustodial parent, or • The custodial parent signs a written declaration that the noncustodial parent can claim the child for the child tax credit

The noncustodial parent must include a copy of the court order or the written declaration with their income tax return.

[Bolding mine.]

Idaho House Bill 574 (2020), which enabled this law, is on point with this view.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies