Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The state refund was significantly smaller than the number turbotax gave me.. Why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The state refund was significantly smaller than the number turbotax gave me.. Why?

Look at your state return to confirm the amount of your state refund as it was filed.  

If your state tax agency lowered the amount of your refund, you'll need to talk to your state tax agency for more info about it.  They should send you a letter in about 3 weeks or so, but you can phone them for faster info.

FAQ:  How do I contact my state department of revenue?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

The state does not notify TT, so wait for the letter from the state.  Could you have made a data entry error, or forgotten to claim some income?

No, I haven't made any errors, this was a first time for me having done my taxes online through a service so I was extra careful. Disappointing to say the least. Though, thank you for your input.

Post back after you get the letter from the state.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies