Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

repovichw

The sales tax changed mid year and I am trying to deduct for building materials but it rejects because their calculation is based on a single number, what can I do?

The tax was 8.9% for Jan - June, and then increased to 9%, Turbo only allows a single entry for the rate and then calculates and says I can't deduct because the numbers don't agree with their calculation
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

The sales tax changed mid year and I am trying to deduct for building materials but it rejects because their calculation is based on a single number, what can I do?

@repovichw You can just use an average rate for over the year.  

All the best.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
repovichw

Maglib,

Unfortunately that won't work, I have to put in the sales tax I paid along with the cost of the materials. Turbo Tax takes the cost and multiplies by the tax percent I posted in the original box and then it tells me the two numbers don't agree. The only thing that would agree is if I take the number they have figured and put it in the box, but then I am not posting the actual sales tax I paid...there should be a way to enter correctly but I haven't figured out how!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can enter a different line item for each of the different rates.   We need to know where you actually lived (not your state of residency) and your total sales tax rate.   The total rate could include both state and local rates.   You can enter multiple line items for different states, counties, or other local rates.     You can choose the Easy Guide and at the end, add the tax paid on large items as an additional amount.  

Moved within the Same State
If you moved within your state and each location has a different local sales tax rate, select the same state for each location.   Also, enter the dates you lived in each location and the total state and local sales tax rate for those locations.

Moved to a Different State
If you moved to a different state, enter each state, the dates you resided there, and the total state and local sales tax rates.

Sales Tax Rate Changed During the Year
Enter the same location twice, once for each sales tax rate charged. Make sure to enter the dates you paid each rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies