Solved: The return insists on a federal EIN. I was self employed but had no employment income for 2018 and do not have a EIN. How do I proceed?

The return insists on a federal EIN. I was self employed but had no employment income for 2018 and do not have a EIN. How do I proceed?

A self-employed person (a sole proprietorship, filing on Schedule C) is not required to have an EIN, except as noted below:

If you’re a sole proprietor, you must have an EIN to:

• hire employees
  • have a Keogh or Solo 401(k) retirement plan,
  • buy or inherit an existing business that you operate as a sole proprietorship
  • incorporate or form a partnership or limited liability company, or
  • file for bankruptcy.

Does one of these situations apply to you?

• hire employees
  • file for bankruptcy.