Solved: The return insists on a federal EIN. I was self employed but had no employment income for 2018 and do not have a EIN. How do I proceed?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The return insists on a federal EIN. I was self employed but had no employment income for 2018 and do not have a EIN. How do I proceed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 13

The return insists on a federal EIN. I was self employed but had no employment income for 2018 and do not have a EIN. How do I proceed?

A self-employed person (a sole proprietorship, filing on Schedule C) is not required to have an EIN, except as noted below:

If you’re a sole proprietor, you must have an EIN to:

• hire employees
  • have a Keogh or Solo 401(k) retirement plan,
  • buy or inherit an existing business that you operate as a sole proprietorship
  • incorporate or form a partnership or limited liability company, or
  • file for bankruptcy.

Does one of these situations apply to you?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 13

A self-employed person (a sole proprietorship, filing on Schedule C) is not required to have an EIN, except as noted below:

If you’re a sole proprietor, you must have an EIN to:

• hire employees
  • have a Keogh or Solo 401(k) retirement plan,
  • buy or inherit an existing business that you operate as a sole proprietorship
  • incorporate or form a partnership or limited liability company, or
  • file for bankruptcy.

Does one of these situations apply to you?

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings