Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clancya16

The IRS Website mentions an automatic 2 month extension for service members stationed abroad. How do I ensure this is on my return

I was stationed abroad the last year and want to make sure i'm not going to get hit with any late penalties as I was not able to file before the original tax day.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS Website mentions an automatic 2 month extension for service members stationed abroad. How do I ensure this is on my return

It's not clear exactly what you mean by "the last year." You qualify for the automatic 2-month extension if you were stationed abroad on the original due date of your tax return, which was April 15. To get the extension, you have to include a statement with your tax return explaining how you meet the requirements for the extension.

You cannot create the required statement in TurboTax Online. If you use TurboTax Online you would have to create the statement outside of TurboTax, print your tax return, attach the statement, and file by mail.

If you use the CD/Download TurboTax software you can create the statement in TurboTax and include it in an e-filed tax return.

Note that if you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late, so you don't really need the extension. If you owe tax, the extension eliminates the penalties for late filing and late payment, but you will still be charged interest from April 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies