Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The forms imported by Step-by-Step were edited by using Forms interface as the forms created contained errors. Are edited forms actually used?

I have imported tax forms. Then I switched from the Step-by-Step interface to the Forms interface. The forms generated by Step-by-Step were not complete, and even errors were flagged. Therefore, I edited the forms created from the forms imported.
I also changed the titles of the forms to make them more meaningful. Can I assume that the edited forms are actually used for tax calculation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The forms imported by Step-by-Step were edited by using Forms interface as the forms created contained errors. Are edited forms actually used?

Imported data is used to make the entries on tax forms. Once the numbers appear on the tax forms that information is used in tax calculations, as you mention.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, any changes you make using the forms interface are saved. There is sometimes a difference in where they are saved if a worksheet is bypassed, but if you are editing an imported form like a 1099 or w2, this won't ever happen.

Do be sure you are filling out the form just as it will be received by the IRS, who get it directly from the sender.

Do go over your forms, as you have, to be sure they are as they should be.

Do NOT enter corrections to the data your "sender" might have made on the form. Anything like this must be dealt with differently so that the IRS doesn't flag your return as containing an error. Their computers are very good at cross-checking forms like w2's and 1099s!

as long as you don't have any red boxes, your Forms Mode changes will be e-Filed.

@toshi-minoura 

All the forms generated by the imported data were flagged with red symbols, and these forms contained fields in pink.  Therefore I filled those fields. Then error flags disappeared. No numbers were modified. I also changed the titles of the forms. However, the titles of the imported data from which forms were generated were not automatically updated.  I now assume that  imported data are used only to generate forms, and they are not used for tax calculations. Am I right?

One advantage of working with forms is that we can "add foreign tax paid" easily.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Imported data is used to make the entries on tax forms. Once the numbers appear on the tax forms that information is used in tax calculations, as you mention.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As I said, you are allowed to enter data directly in forms mode.

your e-Filed forms are not all that is required, check out the number of worksheets associated with any form.

If you enter an amount into a worksheet, without override, it will affect the tax computation.

That's the whole point.

@toshi-minoura 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies