Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The entity I rented a booth from never gave me their EIN for me to file a 1099- Unable to reach out to them to file it either. What can I d?

The person that I was renting a booth from, never gave me their EIN information for me to file my 1099. I only made $2,000 for the two months that I rented, but I paid $1225 in booth rental to them. I am unable to contact the person due to me leaving the space. Should I just claim it as an expense, or do I need to attempt to file a 1099? I don't want to get in trouble, but I am very frustrated. I tried to find them through the NC business.gov and I am unable to find them. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

The entity I rented a booth from never gave me their EIN for me to file a 1099- Unable to reach out to them to file it either. What can I d?

Yes, you can deduct your booth rental even if you didn't issue a 1099 to the person or company that you paid. If you paid them electronically, you don't have to issue the 1099-NEC at all. 

The IRS says you should file Form 1099-NEC for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid at least $600 during the year:

• Who isn't your employee.
  • Who you paid for services in the course of your trade or business.
  • You made the payment to an individual, estate, or, in some cases, a corporation.

However, you don't usually report payments made to C or S Corporations unless they are:

• Attorneys' fees reported inbox 1.
  • Payments by a federal executive agency for services (vendors) reported inbox 1.

Payments made with a credit card, or other electronic payment system aren't subject to reporting on Form 1099-NEC. Follow this link for more details about Form 1099-NEC. 

For your future reference, if you pay someone whom you need to issue a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, ask them to fill out a W-9 prior to paying them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies