Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roxiedog1

The city took part of my front yard and are going to widen the street. they paid me $ 15,000 and sent me a 1099S. I want to just reduce basis. How do I report?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

The city took part of my front yard and are going to widen the street. they paid me $ 15,000 and sent me a 1099S. I want to just reduce basis. How do I report?

You report this under "sale of second home" and just choose land. You can put your basis in the property the same as the payment and you will not have a gain or loss. You can find the instructions at the bottom.

I have also included what the IRS says about "easements" which is the closest thing to your scenario. Be sure that what they are taking is worth the amount paid in case your return ever came under review.

Easements

The amount you receive for granting an easement is generally considered to be a sale of an interest in real property. It reduces the basis of the affected part of the property. If the amount received is more than the basis of the part of the property affected by the easement, reduce your basis in that part to zero and treat the excess as a recognized gain

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4241480

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

You report this under "sale of second home" and just choose land. You can put your basis in the property the same as the payment and you will not have a gain or loss. You can find the instructions at the bottom.

I have also included what the IRS says about "easements" which is the closest thing to your scenario. Be sure that what they are taking is worth the amount paid in case your return ever came under review.

Easements

The amount you receive for granting an easement is generally considered to be a sale of an interest in real property. It reduces the basis of the affected part of the property. If the amount received is more than the basis of the part of the property affected by the easement, reduce your basis in that part to zero and treat the excess as a recognized gain

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4241480

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies