Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I access the QBI Deduction questions in TT Home and Business? I was never asked the questions, and have spent hours trying to get to these questions.

I had transferred my Schedule C-based business from TT Home and Business 2017 to 2018, and was never asked the Qualifying Business Income Deduction questions. This first came to my attention after running "Review", which flagged the following field had not been filled in - “A – Is this activity a qualified trade or business” (which is toward the bottom of Schedule C in the Turbo Tax Forms view under Qualified Business Income Deduction Info). I have now spent several hours trying to determine how I can get to these questions, so welcome any assistance as to how I can get to the questions for this section

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

How can I access the QBI Deduction questions in TT Home and Business? I was never asked the questions, and have spent hours trying to get to these questions.

This question should display in TurboTax Home & Business after you are "done" entering all the business activity for your Schedule C business.

1. If you select the Business tab at the top of the screen, then Continue and "I'll Choose What I Work on"
  2. Select Update for your Schedule C business.
  3. Select to EDIT your Schedule C business.
  4. Scroll down and select Continue.
  5. You should then be brought to the screen where you are asked if this is Qualified Business Income.  See sample screenshot attached. 

The QBI deduction will be reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.  You must have taxable income in order for the deduction to calculate.

You can also answer the question on the Schedule C form itself in FORMS mode, by selecting the FORMS icon on the top right of the screen and then selecting Schedule C from the list of forms on the left hand side.  More information on Forms mode is below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3339204

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieCo

This question should display in TurboTax Home & Business after you are "done" entering all the business activity for your Schedule C business.

1. If you select the Business tab at the top of the screen, then Continue and "I'll Choose What I Work on"
  2. Select Update for your Schedule C business.
  3. Select to EDIT your Schedule C business.
  4. Scroll down and select Continue.
  5. You should then be brought to the screen where you are asked if this is Qualified Business Income.  See sample screenshot attached. 

The QBI deduction will be reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.  You must have taxable income in order for the deduction to calculate.

You can also answer the question on the Schedule C form itself in FORMS mode, by selecting the FORMS icon on the top right of the screen and then selecting Schedule C from the list of forms on the left hand side.  More information on Forms mode is below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3339204

Thanks Julie, that was what I had been missing!
JulieCo

You are welcome!

I will add, this is an extremely important feature for 2018 as it can have a significant impact on your taxes. But IMHO the feature is poorly designed as these are not intuitive steps. I would expect it to be more evident, perhaps adding it to the "Business Income" section.  Also, I could not locate it when doing a search from Help, and was not taken to this section when switching from Forms back to "Step-by"Step".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies