Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I married in 2018. We both itemized and deducted taxes in 2017. Do we manually enter combined 2017 refund info or adjust the refund/withholding amount for state refund?

We are not clear as to whether to we just adjust the amount for the state refund to include both of our refunds and withholding and then just leave the 2017 Federal Return Info reflecting only one spouse's information, or if combine refund info and our return info information together even though it looks like one single filer now has a much larger income. 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenaC

I married in 2018. We both itemized and deducted taxes in 2017. Do we manually enter combined 2017 refund info or adjust the refund/withholding amount for state refund?

Enter the combined state refund amounts under the Wages & Income tab, Other Common Income, Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns

• Since you both itemized your deductions in 2017, your state refunds are generally taxable. On the Let's See if Your 2017 XX Refund is Taxable screen, you may answer No, I'll skip this. Just make all of my 2017 XX refund taxable.

I do not have the option to skip. Do you put in the combined federal return info also from both spouses on the following screen once you state that both spouses itemized on their prior year's returns? It auto populates with only my info.
HelenaC

The IRS does not get the worksheet on what you entered only that XX state refund is taxable. The key is to make sure all or the taxable portion is reported on your tax return. Yes, enter the combined info for both spouses on all the items requested. It auto populates because this is probably your account and you added your spouse.

Thank you so much!
HelenaC

You are very welcome. Thank you for using TurboTax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies