Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

Yes, here is the link to order the Turbo Tax Business download. Unfortunately, since the file formats are different, it won't be possible for the two programs to share data.

My question is though, is your business a partnership, S-Corp, C-Corp, or sole proprietorship1/ if Sole Proprietor,  all you would need to do is upgrade within your software to either Turbo Tax Self-Employed (if using online) or Turbo Tax Home and Business (if using the software).  if this is the case, then the data will transfer automatically into the upgraded product.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

Hello,

Since Turbo tax hasn't resolved the issue and with less than 10 days left for the due date what are most people on this thread doing to handle the 'Safe Harbor Election'?

I finished my taxes months ago and haven't been able to use my large refund to write down my lines of credit, so this has cost me  cash in addition to the time and frustration of everyone else.

- First I will continue to write reviews of Turbotax wherever and whenever I can, especially when next year's is released.  Link to this thread to help others know what is coming.

- I was going to explore unbundling my properties.  They are all profitable so that may have worked for me.  I would need to explore if that fixes the TT problem and what the consequences of bundling last year and unbundling this year were.

- My accountant neighbor took pity on me and said he would file my completed taxes for me after hearing about my tale of woe.

- Final option I was going to file by paper and risk the errors and take the long delays that went along with it.

No idea what I will do next year.

I just filed my taxes electronically and will send the safe harbor documents by mail. 

Philipp2021, are you saying that you were able to efile while claiming the QBI and stating a safe harbor, but just mailed in the safe harbor statements?  Did you have to uncheck the safe harbor box QBI document in order for TT to allow the efiling?

Tax Slayer allows you to print, sign then upload the safe harbor statement.  20+ years using turbotax and this has now got me to go!

https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/[phone number removed]-QBID-Rental-Property-and-E...

DM26
Level 3

I checked out Tax Slayer about a month ago.  Unfortunately you are referring to the "pro" version which is used by professionals.  This is not possible with their simply free, classic, premium or self-employed versions.

I filed by paper. Fed and 3 states. ALL PAPER!

Including filing NY State by mail which says they only accept efile? 

Had no other choice as Turbo Tax would not efile NY since Fed was not efiled.  

What a Huge waste of time and effort. Almost 200 pages. ALL PAPER!

TURBO TAX PLEASE FIX THIS!

Safe Harbor / Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement (sec 199A) Needs to be electronically fileable.

Me too.  What a crock!!!

TT needs to get the heck out of the way and allow me pressing efile for it to transmit to the IRS, its on me.

Being "smarter" and refusing to efile is wrong.

Like others I'm printing paper.  Back 2 years, the IRS lost my paper return.  Luckily I had good doc of my filing via registered mail and lots of pictures I saved.   I sent it all in when they tried to fine me for not filing.

TT is not helping this by not allowing efile and let me take the heat if some minor field is wrong.

:(

@Philipp2021are you saying that you were able to e-file while claiming the QBI and stating a safe harbor, but just mailed in the safe harbor statements? Did you have to uncheck the safe harbor box QBI document in order for TT to allow the e-filing?  Thank you!

I just called TT and they said they STILL haven't resolved this issue.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to switch to TaxAct.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS expected release date is Feb 10. It is best not to file using forms that are not yet released and approved.  

The state and federal governments approve the most common forms first and work their way down the list. Please see the links for form availability. Once a date shows up, the reality should be close. Once released, Turbo Tax will work quickly to get it working in the program.

Federal form availability

@cep755

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't see the QBI Safe Harbor form in the list?  What form number is it?

@cep755 wrote:

I don't see the QBI Safe Harbor form in the list?  What form number is it?

Are you looking for Form 8995-A or the actual statement (see screenshot below)?

Untitled.png

Ok, so Form 8995-A will be available after 01/27/2022, and TT will then write the software to accommodate e-filing with this form?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies