Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I file income from buying and reselling things for profit? I have no company or 1099 forms.

I bought things online and resold them on Craigslist/Ebay as my main income. Do not have a company or 1099 filled out. Was wondering how I document the business expenses and profits.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I file income from buying and reselling things for profit? I have no company or 1099 forms.

You will file a Schedule C as a self-employed person.  The Schedule C will flow onto your individual income tax return (Form 1040) and be netted with other personal income and expenses.

In the TurboTax Home & Business software: (TurboTax Deluxe and Premier Online will generate Schedule C if your business only claims standard vehicle mileage, phone expenses, and/or miscellaneous expenses up to $100.)

• Business Tab (Wages & Income, then Business Items in the Deluxe and Premier versions)
  • Continue or I'll Choose What I Work On (if they show up)
  • Business Income and Expenses

You can use your own name and address for the name of the business.

When you get to the Business Income area, it will ask about 1099-MISC and you can just skip that and enter your income in the General Business Income area.

Follow through all the areas in the Business section of the TurboTax Home & Business software and it will provide you with a lot of assistance. You'll notice blue links that have more information and details about the particular sections that will be extremely helpful. 

Also, this link may be helpful to you IRS Small Business Help Center .

FYI  - When entering business income, you should always enter the total of every dollar received by your customers as income.  From there you will deduct as business expenses your actual costs and expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies