Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax return was rejected because of invalid Identity Protection PIN

No one in my household has a Identity Protection PIN but my tax return was rejected because: IND-996 - The Dependent/Qualifying Person Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) provided on the return is not valid.

Under the "Federal" tab, and "Other Tax Situations", I select "Revisit" next to "Identity Protection PIN". To this question "Did anyone in your family get an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?", I answer "No". Then I file again but my tax return keeps getting rejected.

TurboTax Online Premium 2023

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I contacted Intuit support, and the agent confirmed that an IP PIN is assigned to one of my dependents but couldn't specify which one. My dependents then logged into their accounts on the IRS site, and one of them found that an IP PIN had indeed been assigned without their knowledge. I entered the PIN for that dependent in TurboTax, re-filed the tax return, and it was accepted.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

@Customer99 unfortunately, there is a PIN associated with a dependent's SSN.  Is there a spouse that requested it sometime in the past? 

Best you can do is:

1) request it be sent to you again (via mail) - see link below

2) paper file, but it is going to take 'forever' to get any refund due you as the IRS investigates why there is PIN associated with the dependent SSN but it was not provided on the tax return.  

there should be  a few digits at the end of the rejection response - those should be the last digits of the SSN that has an IP PIN associated with it. 

Best to focus on option 1. 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

For whatever reason, IRS may assign you a PIN and not tell you.

In which case you can use the link above to retrieve it.

@Customer99 

I contacted Intuit support, and the agent confirmed that an IP PIN is assigned to one of my dependents but couldn't specify which one. My dependents then logged into their accounts on the IRS site, and one of them found that an IP PIN had indeed been assigned without their knowledge. I entered the PIN for that dependent in TurboTax, re-filed the tax return, and it was accepted.

@Customer99 that IP PIN will be attached to the SSN "forever".  There are very few ways of getting it removed.

A new IP PIN is mailed in January each year and it comes in a discreet envelope. Suggest watching what you believe is "junk" mail in January - otherwise the same problem is going to occur. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies