Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax return rejected due to incorrect Payer ID on 1099R. Verified the number on the paper 1099R and online for company. Why is it being rejected. BNY Mellon is company.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax return rejected due to incorrect Payer ID on 1099R. Verified the number on the paper 1099R and online for company. Why is it being rejected. BNY Mellon is company.

At the link below see the FAQ on that rejection code and some things to try.   But since you've already verified it with the company, pay special attention to the section of the FAQ which tells you what to do if the FEIN number is correct but keeps getting rejected.

As it explains there, it may be that the IRS is not recognizing the variation of the institution's name.  For instance, above you wrote "BNY Mellon."   The IRS may not recognize it by initials.  Perhaps the IRS has it as "Bank of New York Mellon."   Have you tried it both ways?  If not, try with the full name.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2775934-e-file-reject-f1099r-502-02-the-payer-federal-id-number-en...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you actually efile, or are you referring to Error Check in the Review?

If you efiled, and it was rejected, what is the rejection error code or specific message?

I efiled.  The message said Payer Identification number was incorrect.  I can't find the exact message in my Turbo Tax account.

I found the code:  Reject Code F1099R-502-02

@mombydaughter @sjbfamily2814
I left an answer below on information on that rejection code as well as a suggestion to try with the full company name instead of initials.

At the link below see the FAQ on that rejection code and some things to try.   But since you've already verified it with the company, pay special attention to the section of the FAQ which tells you what to do if the FEIN number is correct but keeps getting rejected.

As it explains there, it may be that the IRS is not recognizing the variation of the institution's name.  For instance, above you wrote "BNY Mellon."   The IRS may not recognize it by initials.  Perhaps the IRS has it as "Bank of New York Mellon."   Have you tried it both ways?  If not, try with the full name.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2775934-e-file-reject-f1099r-502-02-the-payer-federal-id-number-en...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies