Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax reporting on Craiglist Purchases

Hello,

If I buy a used electronic from from a private party through Craiglist and use it for couple of months and then sell it for price lower than my purchasing price. Do I need to report anything anywhere. Also do I need to pay sales tax or any other tax while buying things from Craiglist. Is there any limit on how many times I can purchase and sell it back on Craiglist. I am buying things for my personal uses. I will buy things , use it for some time and then sell it back. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You are right.  There is nothing taxable to report when you purchase items for personal use from an individual and sell them later at a lower price.  There is also no limit for the number of times you can do this.  

@yashK

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

As long as you are selling personal use items at a loss (lower selling price than your purchase price) you would not report anything on your tax return.  You cannot claim a loss on the sale of a personal use item.  

If you start buying items and selling them for a profit, then that may be considered a hobby or business that needs to start reporting income.  

Individuals buying and selling to other individuals would not collect and pay sales tax.  If you purchased an item from a business and sales tax was not collected, then you may owe a use tax for your purchase that would be reported on your state tax return.

@yashK

@AnnetteB6 I am a hobbysit. I will be purchasing some gaming stuffs from an individual. And then selling it after couple of months at a lower price. So in this scenario, I dont have to report anything. Right ? Also is there any limit on number 0f purchases, I can do. Most probably, I will be doing 4/5 such purchasing. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You are right.  There is nothing taxable to report when you purchase items for personal use from an individual and sell them later at a lower price.  There is also no limit for the number of times you can do this.  

@yashK

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies