turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax forms for 2019 and 2020

Hey folks, I've a few questions I'd like help with. Here is some information that might clarify my case:

- I have an L1 visa and my wife an L2. We both have SSN. My son (2 year old) has a Canadian visa. We all arrived in the US in August 2019.

- I didn't file my taxes in 2020.

- I still didn't file my taxes this year.

- My son doesn't have an SSN or ITIN.

Questions:

- Which version of the Turbo tax software I need to buy to file the taxes for the year 2019?

- Can I use the same software to file the taxes for 2019 and 2020?

- I need to apply for an ITIN or SSN for my son. Does the TurboTax software do that? 

Thank you!

You guys have a great software!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Here is the link for the 2019 download.  2020 can be done online or with download through the TurboTax Website as well.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You will need to visit the IRS website for obtain an ITIN for your child or the follow the steps you used to obtain an SSN.  TurboTax does not provide that service.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1.  For 2019, technically speaking, you are considered as a nonresident as you did not meet the Substantial Presence Test  SPT.  As TurboTax does not cover nonresident filing, you are advised to contact  Sprintax. This is probably the simplest way to go.  However, you could file as dual status if you meet the First Year Choice.  This way, you would file as a nonresident for the period before you entered the US and a resident from August till December.

To read more about the pros and cons on dual status, click here: Dual status

For instructions how to file Dual status, see DualStatus under "What and Where To File for a Dual-Status Year" and 1040NR.

You can use TurboTax to file your residency portion.  If you did not have any stock sales, rental or self employment income, you can simply use theTurboTax Deluxe version.  You cannot use any online products for your 2019 taxes as they are designed for 2020 taxes.  You have to purchase the download version, click here:  2019 taxes

2.  No, you cannot.  You have to re-purchase TurboTax program for your 2020 taxes.  See explanations here:  re-purchase TurboTax program  You can purchase either online or desktop.  Click here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/

3.  TurboTax would not apply for ITIN for your son, unfortunately.  Please continue to read:

Without your son's SSN or ITIN, you won't be able to either e-file or paper-file.  You need to apply one for him.  When you are applying for the ITIN, you can use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax forms and then paper-file them.  But you cannot e-file.  You will need to submit all your 2019 and 2020 tax forms along with the Form W-7, ITIN application and required documents by mail at the same time. 

See here for the instructions how to do so in the TurboTax program: 

-In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank

-After entering all your information, print out returns and required forms ( write APPLIED in the SSN space) 

-As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, fill out the forms by clicking this link

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information and attach to other required documents

-Submit all paperwork including your 2019 and 2020 tax forms to IRS Austin location in Texas.  ( please see Form W-7 instructions)

For more information about ITIIN, click here: ITIN

@ divcesar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello again,

in the case of a foreign-born child, which documents are required to file for an ITIN (besides the W-7 form)? Are the passport and birth certificate sufficient?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am attaching the IRS Form W-7 instructions for your information.  Click here:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

It depends.  Please review information under "Supporting Documentation Requirements".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies