turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax for property subdivide

I have a house sits on a large piece of land, and worked on it for several years, the land is divided into 3 parcels (Parcel 1 with the house, Parcel 2 is vacant land, parcel 3 has a house which was originally a detached ADU, houses on 1/3 will be rented). Throughout this process, there are various permit fees, sewer installation costs, etc. If the money is spent on Parcel 1/3, it is considered an improvement and can be depreciated immediately. For the money spent on Parcel, it does not need to be reported for tax purposes and can be treated as part of the basis for future sale?

How should expenses that are spent on all parcels simultaneously (such as permit fees) be handled?

here are some complications: the improvement (such as cleaning, connecting sewer for all 3 properties) was done in 2023 but the subdivide will only finalized in 2025. Until that I wish to keep all 3 parcels as one single property on taxes. 

to do that I need to add depreciate assets to the property now? For cost that can directly be attributed to the parcel 1(such as connect to sewer, tree cleaning, road pavement), I will include it as one item. 

For cost that can directly be attributed to the parcel 3, I will include it as an other item. 

For cost that can directly be attributed to the parcel 2, I will ignore it for now and consider it as basis.

i am not sure about other cost, such as permit, geo, survey, city charge, bond, etc. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I read through your post but did not notice anything indicating that you were renting the property or that is was currently available for rent (maybe I missed something).

In that regard, why not simply add the costs you incurred to your basis and take depreciation deductions as soon as the property is rented or at least available for rent?

sorry didn’t make it clear. Both houses have been rented.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies