Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extension Mistake – Form 4868 Box 8

I mistakenly answered one question on TurboTax's questionnaire so that Box 8 got checked on Form 4868, which states, "Check here if you’re “out of the country” and a U.S. citizen or resident. See instructions." I am in the country.

I thought TurboTax was asking if I was a U.S. citizen, which I am, and I did not suspect this would be checking Box 8 on the form. I did not notice the mistake until after it was sent in and I downloaded the pdf. Will this nullify my extension? Is there something else I should do? I sent in 90% of my expected due taxes in with the form.

As a side note, can TurboTax program it's system to show Form 4868 before sending as a "Review" so that users can double check for errors. Similar to how it does for regular filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

being "Out of the country" gives you extra time to  pay and file without a late fee

you now have more time to file than you would have had with the "out of the country" exception which you are not entitled to.

since you already paid 90% there should be no problem

@josh2019 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

being "Out of the country" gives you extra time to  pay and file without a late fee

you now have more time to file than you would have had with the "out of the country" exception which you are not entitled to.

since you already paid 90% there should be no problem

@josh2019 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies