Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Exempt Interest Dividends for CA

My Tax Exempt Interest Dividends were imported. The correct amount shows in the Federal Return. However, there is a problem with CA. The issue is not the amount, I know which T-Ex Int Dividends are deductible for CA.

The problem is the following:

"Is any of this Interest from funds yada yada..."

There is no Interest that is Tax Exempt, period. But it shows the amount of my Tax Exempt Interest DIVIDENDS.

Then it asks same question but "Are any of these DIVIDENDS yada yada..." 

2nd part is fine, I answer "Yes" & enter dollar amount of Interest Dividends NOT exempt for CA.

Problem is that in the first part, it refers to same dollar amount as Tax Interest Dividends. I cannot & do not wish to answer Yes in Part A because there is NO Tax Exempt Interest whatsoever. That figure should be $0.

In case you want to suggest I enter the full amount as being Non-Tax Exempt, that is not accurate either. There were none, so why would it refer to my Interest Dividends, when we are talking about DIVIDENDS, not Interest? There is no reason that figure should be popping up for both questions!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Tax Exempt Interest Dividends for CA

Yes, tax-exempt interest Dividends are reported on Form 1099-DIV. Even though it is interest, it may be reported on the Dividend form if it was earned on a bond. If you are looking at a brokerage statement that doesn't clearly indicate what items go in which tax information return boxes, you could contact your brokerage for assistance.

If, for example, you have US Government Interest such as from a savings bond that you redeemed, e.g., a Series EE Savings Bond and it is reported as Dividends:

• Enter your Form 1099-DIV exactly as the boxes appear in the 1099-DIV section including exempt-interest dividends.
  • Click Continue
  • At the screen "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you", check the box next to "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest". Click Continue.
  • The next screen states "Enter U.S. Government Interest". Enter the amount in the box provided. Click Continue.
  • The next screen asks which state(s) your exempt-interest dividends are from. You can enter the amount for each state here. Click Done.

The Learn More link in one of these steps explains:

The U.S. government taxes income you receive on its own bonds. Your state does NOT tax income from U.S. government bonds, but each state defines government bonds differently. You should check to see if any part of these dividends is taxable in your state. This information is usually included with the 1099 you received from your broker. You may also be able to get this information from your mutual fund company's website.

Based on this information, enter an adjustment for the amount your state does NOT tax, and the TurboTax State program will subtract this amount from your state income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies