Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CINDYMEICHIU1
Returning Member

Tax Economic Impact Payment

Hello, 

Is there something wrong with Turbo tax in calculating the stimulus payments?  I'm preparing my parents' tax return for 2021.  They only have social security and received $1400 each in 2021.  When I entered this information into Turbo tax, it now tells me that they owe $2800, after I confirmed their letter 6475.  This amount should be tax free.  

Greatly appreciated if you can help me out.

Thank you,

Cindy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If your parents only receive Social Security income, you are not required to file an income tax return, unless they have another source of income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You should not enter the $2800. That entry is for overpayment and thus it wants the money back.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

As @FangxiaL  stated if the only source of income your parents have is social security they do not have to file a tax return.   If they do have to file a  return when you answer the question for the Economic Impact Payment you would need to enter the amount of $1,400 in each box.  If you leave it blank it will not let your complete the return.   If you answer "0" in each box it will cause a credit that will create a refund.   You have to enter $1,400 for each.   This should not create a tax for them, as there the Economic Impact Payments are not taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies