turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax credit on purchased EV in 2022 for filing 2022 tax

I am interested in learning more about the tax credit (for filing 2022 tax) available for electric vehicles (EVs). We bought RAV4 prime plug in (EV) and Tesla in 2022 and they told us we are eligible for a clean vehicle tax credit up to $7,500 under Internal Revenue Code Section 30D.

,I would greatly appreciate your expertise and guidance in understanding how these tax credit work and how they may apply to my specific situation. Some specific questions I have in mind include:

1. What federal tax credit are currently available for EV owners?
  2. Are there any state-level tax credits or rebates for EVs in our area?
  3. How do I determine if I am eligible for these credits?
  4. Are there any special tax considerations I should be aware of when purchasing or owning an EV?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

tax credit on purchased EV in 2022 for filing 2022 tax

Hello Roya:

The credit for EV can be a complex one to understand, but we at TurboTax make it easier to figure out.

I am sending you a few articles to assist you in figuring out whether or not your vehicle is eligible for the credit. This credit is based on several factors, such as make and model of the car, where it was assembled, the type of battery, etc.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/electric-vehicles-for-tax-credit

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/going-green/filing-tax-form-8936-qualified-plug-in-electric-dri... 

1. The credit you will receive will vary based on all the factors mentioned, but generally it is up to $7,500.

2. To know if your state offers a credit, you have to check on your state's website.

3. TurboTax is a great way to find out your eligibility. Just put in your information and let the software tell you whether or not you qualify and how much you will get.

4. There are no special considerations, other than making sure the vehicle does qualify prior to purchase.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies